A Guide to Giving
We encourage everybody to think about their giving. Sure, one person’s situation is different to another, but there’s one thing that we all share: and that is God’s call for us to be positive and generous in supporting the ministry and mission of the church.
Even a brief look at the Bible tells us that Christians are called to serve. Service requires giving - giving of our time, our talents and our blessings. There are many passages in the Bible which speak about these things, eight of which are listed below.
The best attitude
"How can I repay the Lord for all his goodness to me?" (Psalm 116:12)
"Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." (2 Cor. 9:7)
"Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability." (2 Cor 8:2,3)
"Entirely on their own, they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints." (2 Cor 8:4)
What Ananias and Sapphira did not do, as described in Acts 5:1-5
According to your means
"The disciples, each according to his ability, decided to provide help for the brothers living in Judea." (Acts 11:29)
"On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money, in keeping with his income ......." (1 Cor 16:2)
"But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand." (1 Chron. 29:14)
Our obligation to give is clear. All we have has been received from God and giving is part of the Christian life.
How can I gift my money to the work in the Redlands?
There are various ways in which you can give:
- Arrange a regular direct debit from your bank account. Forms to put this in place are available from your Bank.
- Set up a regular transfer with your Internet Banking facility.
- Place money in the church collection box, located on the information table
- Request envelopes from the Treasurer for regular contributions
You may also give to various local and international ministries through the collections in each church service. These are earmarked for the cause mentioned weekly in the newsletter.
Which is the best way?
That depends on your circumstances and your preference. From the point of view of simplicity, regularity and amount of work involved, the direct bank debit system is by far the best. Just fill out a form and give it to your bank /credit union. If you set it up on the Internet, donations are automatic. You don't have do anything else, and the church treasurer doesn't have to count it or bank it. We encourage you to make use of this facility as soon as possible.
When should I start giving regularly?
Pretty much as soon as you start earning, including pocket money earned while you are young. It's a terrific habit to get into. Also the earlier you get into that habit, the easier it is to continue in it, and the easier it is to give cheerfully. (It also enables more of God's work to be done.) Anyone who receives a regular income should definitely be giving regularly .
Who can I talk to?
Any of the elders, one of the Pastors or the Treasurer will be happy to talk with you.
Saying "Thanks" by giving
Think of giving as an expression of gratitude to God for all that he has done and continues to do in Jesus.
God’s response to heartfelt giving:
- Giving with the correct attitude benefits the giver more than the receiver. Jesus says " It is more blessed to give than receive" (Acts 20: 35)
- Giving draws our heart toward Christ. " For where your treasure is there your heart is also" ( Matt 6: 21)
- Giving develops godly character
- Giving allows us to invest for eternity " But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven"... (Matt 6 : 20 )
- Produces a material increase for the giver. "There is one who scatters, yet increases all the more, and there is one who withholds what is justly due, but it results only in want. The generous man will be prosperous, and he who waters will himself be watered." ( Prov 11:24)
Bills/AccountsIngeborg De Ruysscher
Church Bank Details
NAB Mt Gravatt
BSB: 084 435
Account number: 47287 4363
Please include the word “Pledge” as a statement reference, and your surname and first initial if you desire.